Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 07:56:51 pm
Home Help Login Register
News: DATW - radio contest codes and conversation about anything forum! Discover the world from Vancouver and beyond!

DATW Forum  |  DISCOVER ALL THE WORLD  |  discover forum (Moderator: DATWMOD)  |  Topic: do people still get perms? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: do people still get perms?  (Read 7415 times)
fuzzbrain
Cosmic

« on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »

I remember hearing about perms a lot along time ago, but not much recently
 Do people still get perms?

And how about "cream rinse"?
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 05:41:17 am »

I have naturally curly hair so I get a relaxer once every yr or so. 
Never had a creme rinse and doubt I'll ever get one. I use great shampoo/conditioner/mousse and rarely use hairspray.
Itsy Bitsy
Cosmic

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:24:42 am »

I thought cream rinse was conditioner? My mom keeps calling conditioner cream rinse, so I assumed that was the old name for it.

People definitely still get perms today... they just don't do it the same way. Peoples perms used to be so curly and frizzy they looked like they were attempting an afro. Now people get straight perms, wavy perms, loose curl perms, etc. that look much better and more natural.
charlieliberal

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:49 am »

Is it possible to perm curly hair and turn it straight?
Ojisan
Ethereal

Unreconstructed hippy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:25:09 am »

It's probably called an anti-perm.
Itsy Bitsy
Cosmic

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:15 am »

a perm just means it's permanent... as in a premanent reshaping of the hair... so yes, you can perm it straight.
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:04:54 pm »

Is it possible to perm curly hair and turn it straight?
It's a different type of solution and process but it can be done.
Itsy Bitsy
Cosmic

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »

^ Any african salon would of course have the right solution.
yorkcountykid
Ethereal

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:59 pm »

i remember in the movie, 'malcolm x' he was perming his hair straight and that was back in the fifties. i'm sure they have better ways now to straighten curly hair--just look at oprah and almost every black female. they look like they were born with that straight hair.
NSgirl
Ethereal

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 08:37:52 am »

I haven't had a perm for so long I can't even remember the last time I had one. Probably early 90s. spiral perms use to be popular last time I had one.
I rarely put any kind of chemicals on my hair. No fake colour etc. Its been years since I even put highlights in it. My hair is very soft and healthy looking.I don't have split ends and all that other damage chemicals do to it.
Fornicator
Ethereal

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 09:15:58 am »

I remember in elementary school this Korean boy got his hair permed into kind of an afro style.

Looked absolutely ridiculous--don't know what his parents were thinking.
Ojisan
Ethereal

Unreconstructed hippy

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:22:18 am »

I remember in elementary school this Korean boy got his hair permed into kind of an afro style.

Looked absolutely ridiculous--don't know what his parents were thinking.

They weren't.
NSgirl
Ethereal

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:31 pm »

guys should never do perms. It was in style once a long time ago and many guys had them done. Not a good thing.LOL
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:48:10 pm »

^ Any african salon would of course have the right solution.
Yeah cause only African salons know the proper way to handle hair   Roll Eyes
Itsy Bitsy
Cosmic

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 02:54:31 pm »

Yeah cause only African salons know the proper way to handle hair   Roll Eyes

That's not what I said. You really have to roll your eyes because I suggested an african salon?
African women often get their hair professionally straightened and their hair starts out far more curly than most peoples hair, so they would have the more extreme chemicals for hair straightening. People with wavy to barely curly hair like mine could just use the same chemical they use for spiral perms to straighten hair. I'm just saying that not all salons would have the right solution, but african salons would definitely have it.
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »

That's not what I said. You really have to roll your eyes because I suggested an african salon?
African women often get their hair professionally straightened and their hair starts out far more curly than most peoples hair, so they would have the more extreme chemicals for hair straightening. People with wavy to barely curly hair like mine could just use the same chemical they use for spiral perms to straighten hair. I'm just saying that not all salons would have the right solution, but african salons would definitely have it.
No, I really had to roll my eyes because that one statement alone without any explanation at all made you seem like an idiot.

This statement however, is much better. Now I understand what you're saying and can agree with it to a certain extent. My curls are long tight ringlets. I have had them straightened numerous times in a variety of methods. Not one was done with a solution made for African hair or done in an African salon but all were done in a safe/proper manner for the method used at that time. It's been years since I've done anything to my hair. I've learned it's easier to embrace the curl not fight it.
Itsy Bitsy
Cosmic

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »

^ I never suggested that only african salons could do it... you just assumed. I said nothing idiotic and I really don't appreciate being talked to like that.
yorkcountykid
Ethereal

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »

i don't feel that itsy was ever intentionally offending anyone and i support her. however, i constantly offend people unintentionally, by accident, and believe we all do and will do til time stops.
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 07:00:16 pm »

^ I never suggested that only african salons could do it... you just assumed. I said nothing idiotic and I really don't appreciate being talked to like that.
If you'd rather posters didn't assume then you may want to be more precise with your posts. We're only reading your thoughts not hearing the intent behind them. You might want to keep that in mind while posting since you're so touchy about someone misconstruing your words.

As for the rest of your comment, you're a name on a screen who just so happens to be posting during my downtime. What you may/may not appreciate is as important to me as two squirts of duck sh!t.  I hate to be so blunt about it as you seem  to be decent person and all but hey, it is what it is.
yorkcountykid
Ethereal

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 07:13:47 pm »

ok tasha, you may have a point, but please do not push such a minor thing that it causes people to not post here.
itsy, did nothing to deserve a slaying and you bloody well know it.
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »

i don't feel that itsy was ever intentionally offending anyone and i support her. however, i constantly offend people unintentionally, by accident, and believe we all do and will do til time stops.

You're right, offenses happen to all of us by all of us unintentionally on a daily basis.

I'm not offended by Itsy nor am I upset with her. This is a forum and I have the right to out my opinion just like every other poster does... appreciated or not.
yorkcountykid
Ethereal

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:19:58 pm »

thx tasha, you are being very hot imo  Tongue lol
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »

ok tasha, you may have a point, but please do not push such a minor thing that it causes people to not post here.
itsy, did nothing to deserve a slaying and you bloody well know it.

And all those times you attacked us regs, what was the reason? Other than having a little too much to drink?
I'm not trying to push anything negative with you but I'm wondering how are you going to call me out on my forum behavior when your forum behavior has been much worse? You've also taken a stout stand with me even though I was one of the first posters here to wub you   Sad
tasha
Ethereal

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »

thx tasha, you are being very hot imo  Tongue lol

You're so silly. Thank you for making me smile, you have no idea how much I've needed it   Smiley

yorkcountykid
Ethereal

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 07:38:33 pm »

tasha, smile, smile, smile. who could ever think you are an enemy. i still have the photo. of course, how do i know that is you--you pretty wench tee hee
wench is a good thing
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
DATW Forum  |  DISCOVER ALL THE WORLD  |  discover forum (Moderator: DATWMOD)  |  Topic: do people still get perms? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length